Thursday, October 23, 2008

Vignettes from Vegas

Vegas via Virgin
Stepping off of the nightclub with wings that Virgin America calls an airplane, I was greeted by a 12-foot tall airport sign that read, "Just to get our stories straight...we're in St. Louis on a business trip." Virgin Air is quirky to an extreme, and I've got nothing but rave reviews for their service from check in (sleek white Mac-like kiosks with touch screens) to flight service. It's cheaper, it's more fun, and the music is great.


[Credit]

Casa de Chip
Always one of the most generous, kind people I know, Chip took us in for the weekend at his new bachelor pad 5 minutes from the Vegas strip. We got the star treatment with fresh baked muffins in the morning and home cooked meals at night. He advised us on the places to see, drove our grateful butts all over town, and offered sage advice while we sprawled out in his living room recovering from our nights on the town.



Through the lens of a Vegas virgin
Steph has lived in Oklahoma for two years now with her husband Patrick, so seeing her is an annual event rather than a daily one as it was when we attended SFSU. The added bonus for this trip was that it was her FIRST visit to Sin City. From 7th grade marching band to grad school, we've stayed in touch and laughed through life's crazy adventures.



PURE: For people who like pretension
Waiting in line for this damn club, I watched a group of 8 girls take well over TWO HUNDRED photos of themselves. We got in first, scored our free drinks, and stared blankly for the next 20 minutes at what can only be described as a bad music-tight-clothes-bad-stereotype clusterf*ck. Anyone who genuinely enjoys that club can go shove their $500 VIP bottle service where the sun don't shine. At the very least, we got into the Pussy Cat Dolls Lounge on our way out and saw an amazing burlesque show.



Talkin' bout a Revolution
Slightly tipsy from the Hawaiian yard drink I consumed while walking the strip, I encountered a man handing out VIP passes for Revolution. "Umm, that's a corner bar in the casino isn't it?" I asked Steph. Out of nowhere, a pair of double doors swung open to reveal a massive, hidden club behind the bar. All I remember is scoring us free champagne from the cute bartender and rockin' my ass off to "So What" by Pink while a group of guys stared in disbelief. When the song was over, one of them yelled into my ear "God I was tired just watching you!"



Caviar on smoked salmon
We ate like rock stars. Seared ahi, BBQ, lumpia, sushi, lobster bisque, eggs benedict, THE salmon pizza from Spago, white chocolate macadamia creme brulee, and every possible combination of girlie fruit mixed drink possible between Margaritaville and Kahunaville. Chip wasn't kidding when he said vacations should be planned around food - I couldn't agree more.



ROKin' in the free world
Rok Vegas in New York New York was by far my favorite experience of the weekend. Between running into a guy from our hometown (who we both worked with at the movie theater!) to being semi-stalked by one of the funniest club characters I've ever met, the entire night was hilarious and fun. Most of their music was pop and rock mixed with music from past decades. I was absolutely giddy when they played "I Want You Back" by the Jackson Five, mixed with some kind of amazing club beat. We NEED clubs like that in the Bay Area.



Top of the World
I'm absolutely terrified of heights but I couldn't pass up the chance to dine at the incredible Top of the World restaurant in the Stratosphere. I may have lost the feeling in my legs (from fear) when we went up to the observation deck, but the views were so worth the vertigo. The food and friendship were the perfect way to end my weekend before I boarded the plane.



PS: A million thanks to Chip for being such a gracious host.
PPS: To the exboyfriend I drunk dialed on Saturday...my bad! haha

3 comments:

Huston Family said...

Oh My Gosh Flo!! I LOVE your Blog!!! Your trip to Vegas sounds rockin! I Love to read your tails!!! You are wonderful!!!

Dusty Leigh =0)

Stephani said...

Best post ever. I will make one as well, but you just set the bar. =)

Just a Girl in a Port said...

You are such a knockout!