Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Hawai'i, here we come.

Something to look forward to when this mess of a summer is over - Hawai'i. Brian and I both have family there but have never had the chance to visit any sooner than this. He called yesterday with news that his uncle had managed to reserve us a cabin at Bellows Air Force Station, a private military-owned beach.


[Credit]

This is KIND of a big deal because Bellows is traditionally 100% booked a year in advance. Since Brian's uncle works there, he managed to find us a vacancy with only one month's notice. He and Brian's dad helped coordinate the dates and details over the phone, and I am aware that I should donate my first-born child in exchange for the strings they pulled for us.

It's not nepotism since we're paying for it, right? :P


[Credit]

I'm definitely planning to spend my most my vacation wearing... a snorkel :) Hanauma Bay is a favorite for both of because we have so many cherished childhood memories there - like the day I spent the entire afternoon floating around on my stomach, only to emerge dark roasted brown on my backside, but stark pale on my front.


[Credit]

I'm also looking forward to meeting his family, especially his grandma. She always makes him laugh and it's sweet to hear him unaware of the fact that he adopts a slight pidgin accent when speaking to her. I'll need to double check with my mom about how many, if any, of my Samoan relatives have remained there. Many have moved around with the military, and others have finally gone home. I hope we're able to catch a few of them.

Anyway, that's my positive thought for the day. Bruno got stung by a bee today and I got a little down on myself again, so this is a good thing to remember when I'm stressed :)

7 comments:

C Anderson said...

Aloha! Book your tours early! If you need help, I am the QUEEN of the good, non commercial, cheap finds!

Anonymous said...

...any room for a stowaway? ;)

Flo said...

@ Christina: I don't know if we're doing any tours since we've both been to Oahu so many times, but if you've got any hints for secret restaurant finds and great hiking spots, I'd be more than grateful!

@ Corinne: You KNOW I'd fit you in my luggage if I could. Come to think of it, you're pretty tiny so I'll totally load you up with me! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm getting so excited about this trip! I think there's a slow connection again. I'm going to hit the rack before midwatch. Hopefully we'll have some connectivity by the time I'm off. I love you.

PS - I've alreadu broken out the aloha shirt you love so much. ;)

Becca and Jason said...

TAKE ME WITH YOU!!!! Summer has yet to arrive to *this* island, so I need one where it's always summer!!
On the other hand, you deserve this more than anyone I can think of after all the crap of the past month or so. Enjoy the anticipation!! But, even moreso, enjoy the trip!

Just a Girl in a Port said...

....take me with you. I'm fun and small and fit in most luggage if you bend me in half. Corinne can go next time and Becca is too busy with important CG stuff.

Seriously, I vote me as the stow away. I'll give you a day or two to discuss with Brian, but rest assured, I'm the ideal candidate. Heck, we could forget Brian and it could just be you and me. Sorry Brian. :)

Josh & Karale said...

Oh man! Jealous!!!

Also, I tagged you in my post on WhatJosh&KaraleAte for a MeMe. Check out that post for the rules if you want to play along! No pressure;)