Tuesday, July 22, 2008

A bizarre, but reassuring afternoon.

For those who might have missed the story yesterday, here's the synopsis: On Friday Jubilee bit another dog in defense. On Monday the owner verbally attacked me. I fled the park crying. I then wrote an apology letter that I planned to distribute today. Here's how it went down.



It was 4 p.m. and summer weather had returned to Northern California for the day. I had a brilliant plan in place: I would tie a folder containing my apology letters to the fence in the park, and I would book it out of there before anyone noticed me. I saw that the park was empty - SCORE! I furiously tied two knots into the string I brought and started to walk away.

I suddenly felt dead weight dragging on one end of my leash. Jubilee needed to go. I was not prepared for this, since she normally waits until she gets in the park. As soon as she finished I started walking toward the bag dispenser, but realized that Bruno decided to go as well. Two dogs, no bag. I went into full panic mode when I saw a man appear out of the corner of my eye to rummage a letter out of the folder and start reading.

"Well it seems to me that you did nothing wrong, little lady" he said. I stared at him hatefully - he was a complete stranger and that letter was not meant for him. He owned two Siberian Huskies and had never stepped foot in the small dog park. He had no idea who I am or what I wrote about.

"Well, to be fair, so did I," I admitted.

"So is the plan to drop off these letters and run?" he asked. I was about to answer when I felt a sob well up from my stomach. I choked it back but a tear slid down my cheek unexpectedly. "Aww honey I didn't mean to make you cry!" he said, mortified.

And that is how the dog park debacle began.

He forced me to take a walk with him until I felt better, talking about his service in the Army for 34 years and Brian's work in Central America. As it turns out, Lee as he is named, also dealt with drug interdiction but through the Army. He reassured me he wasn't hitting on me, flashing his beautiful gold wedding band, and I half-hiccuped and laughed through my embarrassment.



Our walk led us to Karen, the matriarch of the dog park. She introduced Brian and I to Newhall a year ago, and has always been one of the nicest women I know. I was planning to confirm that it was okay for me to hang the letter folder on the fence, but I completely lost my composure again and this time resorted to silent, shaking sobs rather than the annoying hiccuping ones from my conversation with Lee. Karen caught me up in a huge, comforting bear hug and I forced myself to stop within a few seconds. I was so embarrassed I wanted to die.

Clearly, I am a big ball of emotion today. I've been sick and there's a lot going on.

Karen immediately went into full protective Mama Hen mode and walked over to read the letter. She assured me that it was fine to leave them up, then proceeded to drill me for a description of the woman who verbally attacked me along with some exact quotes of what she said. I told her straightforwardly and without embellishment. I was beginning to feel better. After several hugs around the circle, I decided that I needed to leave before the crazy woman showed up.

What I've decided in speaking with the other owners is that I did nothing wrong. All the dogs at the park have bitten and nipped at others in defense, so what Jubilee did was not anyone's fault. They encouraged me to come back on Thursday after taking a day off to let the dust settle with the other woman, and reassured me that when I do come back, they will be there to defend me and let her know that she needs to back off.

Thank goodness for people who care. I came home immediately afterward because I've been sick all day, but I'm planning to work tomorrow and I feel a million times better after getting the rest and relief I needed today. What a hell of a week.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to read such a good a productive resolution. Nasty people like that make me so angry, and generally, when confronted, I end up crying, too. Mostly out of frustration, and then embarrassment! I don't think I'd have had the balls to write out that letter and post it at the park!

Flo said...

I <3 you Theresa. Thank you for your positive thoughts and reassurance that I'm not a total nutjob for crying so much. There's a lot I haven't written about on here adding up to all the stress, but this entire situation has put me right over the edge. When you come home we'll have to commiserate on all our embarrassing crying stories :)

Heather said...

Glad to hear it is working out for a positive ending. You are way better than me because I probably wouldn't have gone back to apologize out of embarrassment. When my dh was deployed for Hurricane Katrina I had a major public meltdown. I moved it outside the store where a police man saw me . Then my rant/tears moved onto him. It was awful. I still can't go back to that part of town out of embarrassment and guilt for causing such a scene :-(

Flo said...

Thank you so much Heather, I felt the same way about the dog park and that's why I wrote the letter - I didn't think I could go back without clearing the air. It's good to know that I haven't burned my bridges to a resource that is so so important to me.

I've been meaning to catch up on commenting on your blog, but it's totally my bedtime right now because I'm an old lady. I'm definitely planning to do that in the morning :) Thank you again!

Ash said...

Dogs bite as a way of playing. My parents were watching my sister's dog for a while and both the dogs ended up with little bites and scabs from wrestling and nipping. If you take care of the dog, watch the marks and keep them clean, it's not going to be a big deal. Plus you apologized and took responsibility. I think that lady had a bad day and took it out on you!

And so what if the only place you walk your dog is the dog park?? You've got two little dogs. The farthest my parents' mini gets walked is down the block and back - and that's only because my dad needs to take a walk for his heart. Yes, little dogs still need exercise, but this lady doesn't know a single thing about you or your habits (if she does.. stalker??).. put her out of your mind. I'm glad you found good people at the park that have your back!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad those people were there to comfort you. And I'm glad Karen is going to say something to that awful waste of space. Go you :) I'm sorry you're having such a bad week, I am too - we certainly seem to have lives that pattern each other! I hope we both have a good day today. (hugs)

AshleyCD said...

I'm so happy those people made you feel comfortable there again! Don't let one rude person ruin a fun place for you and yourd dogs!!