
We recently left from a port call where we had a brief stop for fuel. Due to logistical disorganization, what was supposed to be a 2 hour port call became a 2 day port call. They decided to hold a ship's function at a resort a half hour away. The first question I asked was, "Are there phones there?" I was assured there were, so I sent an e-mail to Flo telling her I was on my way to call her and went out to wait for the bus.
The bus ended up arriving 30 minutes late. It was the most unique bus I had ever seen. From the outside, it was a seemingly ordinary yellow school bus, but when I stepped inside it was like a cheap party bus. There were red curtains on every other window, and there was a glow in the dark license plate frame taped to the roof. In the front was a TV and additional glowsticks. It was absolutely ridiculous. The driver's music selection included favorites like "Red, red wine" and "What's goin' on."
We arrived, and I asked around for the phone... None. Not a single phone. I saw the Captain, XO, and OPS and decided I would sit with them while I waited for the bus. The place started getting extremely rowdy really quickly, as one would expect with 150 crewmembers getting off the ship for the first time in a month. Luckily as things started to get crazy, and the weather got worse, the bus finally showed up, and I could head back to the ship to call Flo.
I got on the bus frustrated and eager to call. As soon as I got on the ship, I did and was happy that Flo picked up despite being out with friends at Cloud 9. I called her back an hour later, so we could have longer conversation. I miss talking to her so much. During our conversation, I shared a story that happened to me earlier in the day. She laughed and told me I should retell it here. Why didn't I think of that? Anyway, here goes...
I was the inport OOD, and I was making a round. When I got to the bridge, I checked all the equipment and just before I left, I heard a groggy voice, "hello?" I replied, "hello?" I heard the voice again, "Sir, is BM3 out there?"
And then I spotted it.
An eyeball staring at me through the cracked chartroom door. I told the eyeball I had sent him below to handle stores. The eyeball then asked, "Is BM2 out there?" I told him the same thing. Then in a sad, pathetic voice, the eyeball whimpered, "can you let me out?" I had noticed it before, but the eyball was trapped in the chartroom. Someone had tied the doorknob shut. I opened the door and out stepped one of the BM3's on board. Apparently he fell asleep in the chartroom, and the others thought it would teach him a valuable lesson.
Anyway, I just thought I would share. I'm getting piped now, so I have to go. More to follow soon.
2 comments:
Hi honey,
Thanks for posting my sub-blogs for me. I miss you. I'm not sure how our connection is right now. I hope to hear from you soon. I love you.
Love,
Brian
Hi bub. I emailed almost two hours ago so I assume that the connection is slow as usual. I hope you're having a good night. Glub.
Post a Comment