
This morning I was comfortable at home with the love of my life, two wonderful doggles, and 1 and a half chinchillas. By lunch time I had said a painful goodbye and was driving away from the pier. I'm a little rusty, but it's all coming back to me now... (Oh no! I feel a Celine song coming on)
Now it is practically time for bed, and I find myself still awake doing administrative work. To say it was a long day is an understatement. The first week is always the hardest and the last week is always the longest. That's the way it works without fail, every time. The difference between this patrol and the ones I've been on before, besides the length, is the crew. I am amazed and inspired by what I saw from many of the crew today. I watched as a Seaman said goodbye to his wife, a Chief said goodbye to his family with a newborn baby, and a petty officer said goodbye to her doggle. The same people talked to me later with the same optimistic upbeat personality they always do.
While I want to ramble about the many happenings of the day, I am eager to hit the rack and end the day, the first day, the longest day. In the immortal words of a very wise and eccentric nanny by the name of Mary Poppins, "Once begun is half done." (I shouldn't know that) Off to bed now, good night.
2 comments:
Will you please pass along to Mr. Brian that I'd already started singing the song before I read the end of the sentence? And then laughed because I imagined you giving me a "look" for doing so, lol. Love you!
Great to see a post from him. Thanks for your notes Brian. I look forward to reading more. My kids would adore him by the way, they love Mary Poppins. Tell him not to be ashamed, my husband knows trivial musical information and broadway stuff he really has no business knowing--he's such the jock. ;) LOL
Post a Comment