Monday, November 19, 2007

A matter of class: patriotism in pop culture


Clockwise from top: Jessica Simpson for GQ, Dixie Chicks for Entertainment Weekly, the Spice Girls at the Victoria's Secret fashion show, Pink performing in NYC, Barack Obama in Time Magazine.

Each time the United States enters a war, patriotism finds its way into the national consciousness through marketing and entertainment. Every fashion magazine I've bought this year has at some point featured a military influenced selection of accessories and clothes, while singers like Christina Aguilera ("Candy Man") and the Spice Girls ("Stop") have resurrected the iconic pin up girl for their music videos and live performances.

What separates our generation of flag-wavers from the WWII pilots who painted Betty Grable on their bombers is the very nature of our war. We no longer have a draft, the enemy is an insurgency, and public support for the war is less clear than it was when Rosie the Riveter took factory production into her own symbolic hands.

The reason I've taken interest in this topic is because of a recent debate about Barack Obama (pictured above) and his disregard for the United States Flag code.
Admittedly, he violated protocol by failing to put his hand to his heart during the National Anthem. The Fox News fall-out (which was covered with the feverish intensity of a celebrity death) charged Obama with being unfit for the presidency, since the president serves as Commander In Chief and how-could-an-unpatriotic-black-man-with-the-middle-name-HUSSEIN!-ever-command-our-troops??

The simple and short answer is that patriotism may have ruined Obama's bid for the presidency. The question of whether he was a qualified candidate or not is shot to the ground by the fact that he failed to symbolically support our traditions and rituals. This leads to an interesting question - how important is it to YOU that people display their patriotism?

I was born on and raised next to a military base, but attended college in what is widely considered one of the top 10 most politically liberal universities in the country. I have a pretty open perspective on what "proper" or appropriate forms of displaying national pride are, whether that is a quiet display of a folded American flag or dressing the kids up in Old Navy flag shirts for the Fourth of July.

One thing I cannot stand, however, is the glamorization of patriotism. I believe that there are many tasteful, classy ways of displaying nationalism, but obnoxious flashing blinkie icons on a MySpace profile are not patriotic. I'm not a fan of Americana-themed living rooms with red white and blue EVERYTHING, and I certainly didn't think it was cute when a half-naked Army girlfriend used her boyfriend as an excuse to get access to the front row of the Brad Paisley concert I attended a few months ago.

On the subject of music, I think Pink's "Dear Mr. President" is a welcome and tasteful answer to songs like "Come Home Soon" by SheDaisy and "Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue" by Toby Keith. I think it is absolutely necessary to open up dialogue about the war, and I don't think it is EVER okay for people to tell artists to "shut up" just because they chose to discuss politics. I'd rather see people my age argue about the war than watch us become a generation full of apolitical blobs who have forgotten what we are fighting for.

But that's just me.

7 comments:

JonH said...

excellent. I am glad I subscribed to your feed.

It's not just you who holds this near and dear. I hazard to say that patriotism may be the very antithesis of a free and democratic society. When it gets out of hand you begin having the national colors juxtaposed with jumbo-sized images of totalitarian leaders. Luckily we haven't come that far, but bleeding heart patriotism is the same as bleeding heart environmentalism, religiosity, fundamentalism, or any other -ism that exists.

A successful, democratic society is one in which people are allowed to think for themselves, and to have their own beliefs, rituals, and ideology. Majority rules in such a place, and peace reigns.

That's just my opinion.

Flo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Little Wife said...

Fantastic post Flo. I agree that artists shouldn't be censored. What a silly thing to suggest. The thing that frightens me the most is that people actually don't agree with the songs out there today. It's as if to say "I love our COC so I abhor all things against him". Give me a break people--use your head!

As for the saluting the flag thing--It's all got to do with perspective.I'm sure if he wasn't patriotic, he wouldn't be running for President. As a civilian, I simply stand at attention (old habits die hard). I consider myself extremely patriotic though. I wouldn't cast a spell on someone who didn't salute the flag because I know many people because of their religious beliefs do not salute. However, that's another topic, for another controversial issue.

Here's my thought though, they were standing away from the Ensign. Had they been turned around, he should have saluted. Otherwise, he was saluting the singer(s). That being said, I think if he were to salute, he should have turned around. Since we can't see outside of the picture, we cannot be sure what he was facing other than probably the singer(s).

So, not only was he doing the wrong thing so were the other folks next to him so says U.S.C. Title 36.

Sorry for my long-windedness. I had this all typed up ready to post when the old thread was shut down. I resurrected it just now for you. :)

Flo said...

Jenny, thank you for chiming in with that detail about saluting protocol. I believe there might have been a second flag in the direction they were facing, but you're right that it's possible they might have all been in violation of the flag code.

I definitely agree that it IS possible to support the CoC but not necessarily everything s/he does. That is the point of a democracy - we choose to follow a human leader, not a faultless deity. I'd rather have a flawed president than an all-powerful flawless dictator ANY day. Thank you again for your comment darlin!

Anonymous said...

Blind patriotism is scary. I see it far more here than I did in California, without a doubt. Especially in recent years, post-9/11 and with the "war" in the Middle East still going strong despite detractors, there are still many factions of this country that bleed stars and stripes, no questions asked.

A certain military forum I lurk at [that has the initials C.H.] had a thread about the Obama picture you posted. Somehow I wasn't surprised to see many people wouldn't vote for him because of that. And if you ever want to see blind conservatism, check out the OKC Craigslist R&R section... and prepare to be appalled.

Flo said...

Steph, if I check out the OKC craigslist I'm going to punch my screen in. Seriously, it's like watching a train wreck ;) If you wanna see some (non-psychotic!) fun, you gotta read the "Best of CL" section, it cracks my shit up :D

Anonymous said...

I'm just going to have to go out there and say... I love the song "Come Home Soon" by SheDaisy. As pathetic as that may sound (believe me, I never thought I'd say it, either) I could listen to it a hundred times. I'd probably cry 50% of the time, too.