Friday, November 16, 2007

Convertible conundrum



B-Trapp and I have decided that we want a "fun car." He bought his 2003 Chevy Silverado during college in Florida, and it's a solid, dependable truck that I actually enjoy driving occasionally. The downside is that it's a gas guzzler through-and-through, with a huge tank and bad mileage in our little suburban home. I drive a 1998 Toyota Camry that my mom bought while I was in middle school. I have very few complaints about her, but she's getting old and showing her age.

Brian's theory has always been that a car should be a reflection of the person who drives it. Apparently, my car says that I'm sturdy, dependable and boring. ;-) Don't get me wrong, I know I'm absolutely spoiled to have had a car since age 16 and have never struggled to get by, but I have a career now and therefore have the means to control what I drive.

Financially, we're in a good stage to start looking around. He's finishing payments on the truck within a few months, and I have no car payments at all. Since we're moving next summer, I think that's a good deadline to set for saving up my money to purchase a new car. I won't want to buy BEFORE the move since I'll have to put a ton of mileage on it immediately while driving cross-country (most of our picks are East Coast), so the idea is to start looking in whatever region we move to.

The goal? A convertible with decent gas mileage. There are no hybrid convertibles available on the market yet, but Saab did release the 9-3 convertible as a concept car with no forseeable release date. Damn. So I did some research and came back with a handful of possibilities.

Theoretical car must
  • cost under $30k
  • have an automatic transmission
  • not look like a retirement vehicle.

Here are the final contestants:
(Price/MPG estimated for automatic trans.)

*Brian's favorite*
Pontiac Solstice
MPG: 19/24
$23,355


Toyota Solara
MPG: 22/31
MSRP: $27, 190


Chrysler Sebring
MPG: 20/29
MSRP: $26,890


Nissan 350Z
MPG: 18/25
MSRP: $28,980


*My 2 Favorites*
Mini Cooper
MPG: 22/30
MSRP: $23,850


Saturn Sky
MPG: 19/24
MSRP: $26,585


Which one do YOU like best?

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I like the Pontiac...but doesn't it snow in some of the places you are looking at? As someone who has lived in Ohio for most of her life, driving in the snow in a light-weight car is not fun. Neither is being cold because heat is escaping through your rag-top.

You will probably end up in a place with great public transportation, like DC, and not have to worry about it.

[[BB]]

Peter A. Stinson said...

One of my neighbors has the Saturn. It's an awesome looking car. I don't know how it drives, but it sure looks good. I think you'd look mighty fine in it. Well, the truth is that you'd look mighty fine in anything, including a dump truck, but that's a different thing altogether.

Last night, someone showed me their baby, a T-bird with a hard convertible top. That was a nice looker, too.

Guess y'all are never leaving California, at least based on your car choices...

Flo said...

BB my love! Aren't you and the husband in DC now? I'd be freakin' thrilled if they "stuck" us there ;-) Brian cheered when he saw you liked the Pontiac more.

But on to more important things...you're right, with snow conditions it would be really hard to maintain a rag top. I'm waiting till he gets orders to really start planning, because we could very well get somewhere warm like Florida or Hawaii or something. Thanks for commenting, darlin!!

Flo said...

Thanks Peter! I would looove one of the modern T-birds but they stopped producing them a couple years back so I lost my chance. Still, absolutely GORGEOUS cars.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't believe you guys will be moving! I shouldn't be surprised but somehow it seems weird to put you out of the Bay Area. haha

oh and I like the Toyota and the Mini =)

The Little Wife said...

I LOVE the Pontiac and the Saturn. Toyotas are really reliable though. Have fun shopping!

Peter A. Stinson said...

I'm changing my vote to the dump truck... I know it's not on the list, but the image has been with me ever since I first thought of it...

;-)

Flo said...

haha Thanks for your votes everyone! Brian just notified me that Pontiac is having a Red Tag Sale on all 2007 models. My only response was "Honey, I'm broke." :P

Anonymous said...

I think you should drive the CT2000. LOL "My friends will be rolling around in the back. Don't worry... it's padded!"

Anonymous said...

Honda S2000, hands down.