Last week I found out that my professor was arrested for owning child pornography.
This week, I found out that he has been accused of being a baby rapist.
It is surreal and devastating to type those words, because I trusted, respected, and genuinely cared about him. Having been unemployed for a year, my classmates and professors have taken on the de facto role of friends to me. I feel naive and betrayed, but above all I cannot fathom the insanely evil things he has done. There is an article here that explains the general details, but I must include a warning that this case is easily the most f*cked up, disturbing thing I have ever read.
I am fortunate enough that I have never been exposed to anything remotely horrifying in my life. I have been sheltered from so many evil realities that I am often blindsided by harsh truths, and I have not developed a thick skin about ANYTHING. I have recognized myself moving through the stages of grief over the past week, almost in the same way that I would if he had died. In most ways, he has died.
His name is Ken Kyle, and he taught what I referred to as our "fun classes." Our program provides a good mix of theoretical and practical coursework, so his job was to dabble in way-out-there concepts that somehow-kinda related to organizational theory and public policy. Most of the time, we just sat around talking about politics and writing essays about whatever the heck we wanted. I appreciated that I always received an easy A from him, and that he always respected our opinions even when he did not agree with them.
He was a Southern gentleman from Louisiana, with a polite drawl and all of the manners you would expect of someone raised in the South. When I look at the national news articles and read comments that talk about him being a "liberal from San Francisco," I get so angry because he most certainly was NOT a product of my hometown. There have also been comments about how his students are "probably all ghetto thugs on scholarships," since he teaches at a poor state university. I just have to laugh at the ridiculousness of those comments, because most of my classmates are definitely white, suburban, middle-class government employees.
I have talked out my feelings several times over the past week with friends, and I thought that I had finally reached some sense of peace. I was floored yesterday when I received the email from my classmate, with information about his crimes in St. Louis. I literally gagged on my lunch, and had to choke down a sob as I tried to push thoughts and images from my head. This disgusting psychopath was my friend, and I never had any clue. This little girl could have been saved if one of us had just seen a glimmer of the monster that he is.
I am considering talking to a counselor next week, during the first week of my last quarter of grad school. My classmates are also organizing a get together to sort through our feelings, and I think it will be particularly beneficial to me because I am such a sensitive wuss that I am unable to function when I am this upset. This is one of those times that I really wish I had a job so I could throw myself into busy work and forget about the nightmares that lurk in plain sight.
The best word to describe my emotional state is hatred. Pure, blind, furious hatred. I hope that he dies slowly, painfully, and at the hands of cruel rapist prisoners in San Quentin. I hope that they don't spare him one moment of torture, and that he is forced to confront the evil that he inflicted on an innocent child. I hope that in his last moments, he remembers all of the people that he betrayed and outright lied to for his entire life. I hope that bastard rots in hell.
6 comments:
Flo, I wish I still had your number so I could personally call and say I am SO sorry you ever knew this guy. I wanted to vomit when I read the news article. As punishment, they should chop off his business. (In addition to prison, of course.) Seems like the only way to ensure it doesn't happen again.
Hope you and your classmates are able to work through this.
Hugs,
Megs
Hey Flo,
I'm glad you wrote the blog article, as you made some great points (especially with the SF and CSUEB comments) and we all have had a lot of the same feelings; betrayal, anger, disgust, vomit-inducement and the agony of retelling the story to our parents and friends.
I guess I have a couple responses. First, the fact that Kyle has turned out to be a monster hiding under a guise of the liberal, social justice minded professor does not make illegimate the hard work we have all put in on our philoshical essays or reading--those contributions that we have gained from the classes. At first, I was worried that this news would in some way discredit our progress and course completion--and for the ignorant pests that look for any reason to slam the CSU system (especially Hayward), it may have...but then again, there are people who resort to death threats when discussing a health care reform bill that will probably help them, so what are you going to do?
The second is that I hope Kyle is in prison for the rest of his life and that he has rehabilitation to address the damage he has put on others, and that was most likely inflicted on him as a child. These things are often an ugly cycle that repeats and (not to get all spiritual, but) if his soul and consciousness does not address this mental illness in this life, I worry that this sick, unsettled, afflicted energy may not resolve. The last point is that I am STOKED to find your blog!!! I'll be a subscriber for sure. And, you can look up my IP address anytime! :)
Yet again, I'm floored by the newest details of this. And entangled in my disgust is my shock and total inability to fully process the line that says the mother allowed, allowed this man to vistimize her 13 month old daughter.
4guitarman17 summed up my earlier sentiments in how this in no way discredits your all's work. And that it just goes to show that some people's demons run deeper than anyone could ever imagine.
Flo,
I am SO sorry about this situation. I can't imagine how I would feel if I had a personal relationship with this person. I guess I am even more disturbed because this happened at my school, too...he could have been one of my professors. I applaud you for writing about the experience and your feelings towards the nasty, horrific details of the monster's behavior.
I hope you can go to counseling to help you sort through all of the feelings and grief. Thinking of you. =)
XOXO
Wow, Flo, I don't even know what to say. This is just beyond words. But know that you and your classmates are in my thoughts!
Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.
Post a Comment