Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Laid off

I was laid off from my job this morning.



There were no warning signs, no rumblings of imminent layoffs in my department or concerns about my performance. I received a great performance review a few months ago, along with verbal notice that I was receiving a raise. I will never know why I was chosen, but I take solace in the fact that it was completely out of my control. I'm feeling okay.

It was fitting that the day this happened, one of the biggest storms I've ever seen swept through the East Bay. I arrived at work this morning, ran from the parking lot to the building in the rain, and beeped myself in with my security badge. I set up my work station, grabbed some breakfast, and started my day by pulling analytic reports on my Sports sections. I was in the midst of manually culling some data from a spreadsheet when my boss dropped by.

"Hey, I need to have a talk with you. Can we meet in the cafeteria?" he asked. I cheerfully agreed and grabbed a pen and paper to jot notes.

When we sat down, I knew something was wrong. He was holding a blank notepad (normally he has notes scribbled down to go over with me) and his hands were fidgeting nervously. I cocked my head curiously as he drew a deep breath and then spilled two sentences in rapid succession:

"There's no way to small talk around this, Flo. Your position has been eliminated."

The air rushed out of my lungs. He explained that there simply wasn't enough money left in the budget to operate with the amount of producers we currently have on staff. He reassured me that my quality of work had nothing to do with the decision, and then softly explained that he had to take me to the Human Resources department to go through my final paperwork.

We walked down the halls I'd "grown up" in on our way to the HR department. I realized with a sudden sense of panic that this was the last time I'd walk those halls as an employee, and I struggled to retain my composure as I remembered that this would always be my first and only job in journalism.

When we reached HR, I sat down with a specialist who went through my severance package and benefits. I was too hurt and confused to really listen or comprehend, but I appreciated her empathy as she carefully went through the process of claiming unemployment and figuring out my severance package. Overall, the process was done with all the dignity and respect I could have hoped for in a situation as difficult as this was.

My boss walked me out of the building after I packed up my work station. He offered to keep me appraised of the contracting jobs they'll have available in my absence, and I half-listened as I realized that I was not at all interested in working for the company any more. I thanked him one last time, then ran to my car in the pouring rain.



When I started working for the Contra Costa Times three years ago, I was a 21-year-old college senior at San Francisco State University. I was scared as hell, incredibly naive, and not at all prepared for what lay ahead. Three years later, I can honestly say I'm astounded by all the lessons I've learned in the newsrooms at the Times and the Oakland Tribune. I've met lifelong friends and inspiring mentors in all departments, and I've learned career skills that I couldn't have found anywhere else. I'm a programmer, a copy editor, a graphic designer and a multimedia producer. I owe all those skills to my time as a journalist.

I'm going to be okay. I'm earning my master's degree, I have plenty marketable skills and abilities, and I can find a job to get by until I graduate. This might just be a blessing in disguise, and I don't feel depressed or scared. I will be just fine :)

Thank you so much to those of you reading who played a role in my career as I grew up in the newsrooms. I may be moving on to a different career field, but my heart will always be with journalism.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Flo. :( I'm sorry. You're right though - you're going to be more than fine. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, darlin'. :( I know how it goes, it's happened to me twice and I've had to be the guy on the other side of the table numerous times as well. After the initial shock (and sometimes anger), you'll realize that everything happens for a reason and you'll move on to bigger and better things!

The Roaming Bilderbacks said...

I'm sorry to hear that, Flo! I think you are right though, this could be a blessing in disguise. Yay for unemployed grad students (as I will be after this week!).

Stephani said...

I'm so sorry to hear this, I know it was something you've been worried about this... I'm glad to hear that you have a good peace of mind about this, though. You have great potential, and grad school will only help you.

Anonymous said...

Funny how they don't tell the rest of us about that. We're going to miss you, Flo.

Anonymous said...

One door closes as another one opens. You are talented enough to excel in whatever you do. On the bright side, you will have more time to focus on your masters :)

Josh & Karale said...

oh flo, i'm so sorry. i have no doubt you'll find something else that you love very soon.

Anonymous said...

Oh my. Well, at least it's a weight lifted off your shoulders and you ain't workin' for that hot mess of a newspaper company anymore - just rejoice! I've been there before and it was indeed a blessing in disguise! Like Tupac says, "You gotta keep yo' head up!"

allaboutgeorge said...

My certainty about your bright, happy future doesn't make me any less sorry about how or why it happened. I'm happy I got to work with you. We gotta hit up some karaoke spots soon. Send up a flare next time you're near Lake Merritt. The first one's on me.

Anonymous said...

flo, nothing any of us say right now is truly going to make you feel better. that'll just have to come with time and a thorough look at your prospects, but let me say just this: i, too, was laid off. it was back in 2005 and i was only six months out of school, the victim of a company trying to "staff up" to prove they could handle the increased workload a current client wanted to give. when they got fired, so did i. at first it's terrible, i know, but as you said, "This might just be a blessing in disguise, and I don't feel depressed or scared. I will be just fine :)."

you will. i was. my termination was the best thing that ever happened to my career. i ended up at a better company and even ended up making more than i had in my previous position, and all this without a promotion!

hang in there and let me know if there's anything i can help with. i might know some folks depending on your interests.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear this! With talent like yours I know you'll be on to better things in no time!

Anonymous said...

boo, trib. boo.

[hug] [hands you a tequila shot]

jPT said...

Just be glad you're a well-rounded person whose life isn't 100% based on work. You'll find somewhere else to work, and heck if that industry goes down the crapper too, you'll do it again! ;)

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that Flo, even though we only spoke once or twice. The good news is that people are talking about how stupid they are for letting you go because of your talent. You should be out making some real money. Good luck,

Anonymous said...

We'll miss you, but you're off to bigger and better things. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry, Flo.
You've already got so much good going on that I think you'll be even happier without a pesky job. :) Enjoy this time!

C Anderson said...

Left you a msg; call me about possible jobs in the Bay Area. Who knows what networking strings I may be able to pull. Kisses from Kodiak.

afreshmusic said...

Sorry to hear that. It is tough times but as long as you know you will be ok. Be blessed.

Zach and Beth said...

Flo, I'm so sorry, but with your talent, you are going to be a tremendous asset to the next lucky company or organization that hires you.