Monday, January 26, 2009

Other careers I've considered



Being in an academic setting again has made me realize that I didn't particularly research my options before I dove headfirst into journalism. My classmates work in a broad spectrum of industries and earned degrees in a variety of disciplines, but I'm the only communications "authority" in the class. I don't regret any job choices I've made, but I do think I could have flourished in other career fields too.

1. Human Factors specialist - I hate Web sites sometimes, despite the fact that my job is grounded in programming and Web design. The reason I hate them is because my work content management system is stupidly difficult to use. Finding, selecting and editing a story, for example, should not take 10 clicks to accomplish. Since our CMS was built by engineers and not journalists, no one ever thought to ask, "Hey, can we make this easy, intuitive and simple?" The Human Factors certification I linked above is a job that does just that - it makes Web sites easy to use. Brian told me about that particular discipline of psychology yesterday during a conversation about his degree, and it made me laugh to think that people are making big bucks to use common sense. Genius!!

2. Graphic designer - I've never been an artist, but I've always been creative. I consistently skew high on the qualitative/empathetic/artistic scale for personality typologies, and that's funny since I was raised by a sharp, intellectual, math and science-loving mom. I love designing anything in Photoshop and Illustrator, from fliers for charity events to party invitations and holiday cards. The major problem, of course, is that I never make enough time to indulge that hobby. I was formally trained in a lot of artsy frou-frou multimedia editing programs, but simple little Photoshop has always been my favorite tool on my Macbook Pro.

3. Columnist/author - The original intent behind my journalism degree was to become a reporter. My plans changed when I met my mentor and professor Andrew DeVigal, who is now the multimedia editor at the New York Times. He taught me everything I know about Web 2.0, multimedia and online journalism, and guided me to the job I'm in today. If I hadn't met him I wouldn't be the well-rounded producer I've become, so for that I am thankful. On the other hand, I never got the chance to explore my writing in a professional sense. I still don't know if I would have done well as a writer, but that's why it's called "a dream deferred." The columnist I linked above, David Brooks, is the lone conservative columnist on staff at the NYT, and I love both his column and books. Two of my favorite female writers are Anna Quindlen and Judith Warner.

What career options did you consider in college? Have you ever made a big career change because you weren't happy? Share your thoughts :)

9 comments:

Meggles said...

I was trained to work in the state department/political/ngo field.

I did the political thing for a few years.

Made the change to real estate to spend more time with my grandparents and aunt (after my dad died). This were put into focus for me. Im pretty happy with my choice. I still do local campaigns for friends/family but nothing huge like I use to. Just takes too much time away.

nicole said...

I have a degree in Public Relations and actually despise it now.

I work for a marketing and interactive firm now, which is not totally off base. It is a bit different than what I was doing in my first job - media relations.

I love marketing, but I love helping people and doing work with nonprofit organizations and often dreamed of what it would be like to be in social services.

I think where I will be most happy is owning my own business and doing event planning. I feel like in that field I will get to be my own boss, still get to do marketing, be creative, still do the project manager thing (I do project management now, aside from the marketing), and do some planning for nonprofit organizations.

The Roaming Bilderbacks said...

I started out as a telecommunications major, wanting to work in radio (I think mostly to go to concerts for free.. ha!). I was horrrrible at it.. seriously bad. I stuck with it through 2 years though and some not so good grades, and then finally changed my major to family psych.

Anonymous said...

Well, let's see...I started out as a first year commerce and economic major, with the intent that I was going to earn my CPA, then eventually move on to corporate law. This was the great plan until my first year management course came to an end, and I decided that numbers bored.me.to.tears. So I ended up switching whatever courses I could, and ended up in a few history courses. I finished my Hons.BA as a Japanese history specialist, with philosophy and classical civilizations as minors.

I'd always worked with kids, so it wasn't too much of an effort to move overseas to teach English. Family stuff led me back to Canada, which eventually led me back to the world of academia. Currently, I'm doing my Masters' in politics and public relations, with a focus on educational policy and reform.

So far, reliving the life of a student. However, the one bonus of being a student now is that I'm actually getting paid in part to be here, as opposed to having to pay to go to school. =)

Anonymous said...

I could easily see you as a columnist.

I was premed for most of my life, then decided to get a Master's in teaching - it will allow me to have a family life and I enjoy my kids for the most part!

Katie Hovanec said...

I was double majoring in Accounting and Computer Science for 2 years. I HATED spending entire days in basement computer labs. I just went with my back up--English teacher. It is a lot easier (mentally) to not make loads of money when you love your job. Right?

jPT said...

I went to school for both journalism and secondary education... now I do writing, editing, designing, Web, social networking, etc... the list goes on! Journalism is a great start to many non-journalism jobs in which you have to be able to do more than just one thing. I can't imagine if I had been in a communications program that was more specific and had no experience in design or Web... I would be so screwed! I don't make much money but I do like my job, and it gave me the opportunity to go to grad school... plus I do so many different things that I feel like it'll leave me open to more opportunities in the future!

Huston Family said...

Flo you would be good and ANY of those career paths! You are amazing and so talented!!! Good Luck toots!

Potato said...

I have a degree in Health Science, and used it for a bit as a Health Educator in Tobacco Control,by teaching Teens on the effects of Tobacco. Now, I want to work in the Foods Industry,such as in Catering or something. I suck at cooking though lol. I would also love to work for Non Profits again and help people :D.