
A lot of people have asked my opinion about Sarah Palin, which puzzles me because A) No one asked what I thought of Hillary Clinton B) I'm not a Republican. I've kept intentionally quiet, because to acknowledge her presence is to add one more Google link to her massive buzz, and I'm frankly petty enough to believe that ignoring an annoyance will make it go away. Not so in this case.
To be clear, it's not the trivial personal details that bother me. I could bitch about the fact that McCain calls Obama an elitist despite being a third-generation Naval Academy grad who owns 8 houses while Obama grew up in a struggling single-parent household. I could bring up the hypocrisy that Sarah Palin demands to be treated as a gender equal while asking the world to go easy on her in the presidential debates. Those headaches are minor compared to the immense fear I have regarding the prospect of Palin being president should McCain croak during his elected term.
Still, it is impossible to ignore the emotional connection voters feel toward Palin, as if she is their mother or wife or friend. She has single-handedly reignited the Mommy Wars debate over whether women should stay at home or work while they raise their children. I've heard friends say that her Christian values and down home personality make her "just like one of us." She is small town, red state, mom-next-door to a T, with a side of Frontier Woman to add to the glamor of her Cinderella rise to fame story.
The problem and the point is that the elected leader of our country should not be chosen based on warm fuzzy feelings of familiarity and friendship. In 2004, a Zogby/Williams Identity Poll predicted that Bush would win based on his "likability," because he was the candidate more voters would like to kick back and share a beer with. This inane poll speaks volumes about the idiocy of public opinion - that above experience, instinct, knowledge and character, we Americans are more interested in who would be a better drinking buddy.
I implore those of you who read this blog to vote with common sense. If you've researched the issues and you follow politics regularly, then I applaud your decision regardless of whom you choose. If I ask who you're voting for and why, and the only answer you can give me is because "Palin is a Christian" or that "McCain is a veteran," then those answers simply are not good enough. Be informed, be prepared, and don't idly sit by as the country enters one of the most pivotal presidential campaigns in our nation's history.
To discuss the two minor points above, which I've actually heard often:
A) Palin's Christianity is a fine thing - in fact, all four candidates right now are Christian. Mixing religion with political behavior, however, is both unethical and unconstitutional. Pushing to reverse Roe v. Wade, trying to ban library books, pushing for abstinence-only sex ed, refusing to acknowledge global warming, and proposing creationism in public schools are all red flags that she has and will continue to confuse her personal religious beliefs with her role as VP.
B) McCain definitely deserves respect for his military service and time spent as a POW, but his service is symbolic more than literal in direct relation to his potential role as Commander in Chief. Past presidents have rarely reached the rank needed to earn tactical knowledge to command troop movements and dictate military strategy, with the exception of Dwight D. Eisenhower, who served as General of the Army. What concerns me, however, is McCain's attitude regarding boots on the ground troops and the benefits allowed to them during their military careers. He opposed the revised GI Bill proposing additional benefits for troops to attend college, because he worried that the military would not be able to retain soldiers to continue the war.
McCain said Webb's bill would be a disincentive for service members to become noncommissioned officers, which he called "the backbone of all the services." ... "They are very hard to replace. Encouraging people to choose to not become noncommissioned officers would hurt the military and our country very badly." - CNNBy saying, "choose to not become NCOs," McCain meant that troops would likely choose to attend college and pursue civilian life. This logic seriously confuses me, as if to say that restricting troops' access to continued education will somehow prevent them from choosing to leave the military. What I wish he realized is that when good people, people like my father who served 20+ years in the Army, want to serve their country, they will do so WITHOUT worrying about how much money has been offered to them by their grateful country.
29 comments:
I wouldn't dare debate you;) This is my second election. First, I feel I have actually been involved with educating myself in. I love how passionate you are. Even if you are on 'the other team'. Hehe. XO
Since the first time I heard the name Sarah Palin I've been angry. But I haven't been able to articulate why. You have, and very well. Thank you.
@Ashley: I have always admired how articulate and informed you are about, well, everything, so I completely respect and applaud your decision. The other team is still a great team :)
@Theresa: It took me three weeks to finally write down everything I'd been reading about regarding Palin. It was too much information too fast, and now that the dust has settled, I'm absolutely worried. Good to know I'm not the only one having reservations about her track record.
Aw, Flo, I truly hope at [some] point we are stationed together! I just want to hug you:)
I posted that and realized it said, at one point, but didn't like the way 'one point' sounded. Probably because I wouldn't mind if we were stationed at several points, haha. XOXO
From the first moment Pain was announced as McCain's selection, it was obvious to me that McCain was doing everything they could to reach out (i.e. pander) to the bitter Hillary voters.
Since then, I've become quite amused with many Palin facts that have come out, many of which you've already pointed out. Some other ones?
- Palin is on record supporting the Bridge to Nowhere prior to becoming Gov.
- She did NOT sell the much-discussed jet on eBay. She put it on eBay, it did not sell, so she sold it through an airplane broker. For a loss.
- Sarah Palin, 44, first got a passport at age 42.
- Her foreign policy experience is "we can see Russia from Alaska." Nice.
I think the move initially worked to perfection with many upset Hillary voters, but eventually the truth comes out.
@Jason Thank you for adding to the craziness list :) It's her willingness to play parochial high school politics that truly scares me - someone mentioned she was a Mean Girl come to life, and it's a good caricature. She appointed a childhood friend to head of state agriculture and threw money at a failing business under the premise that that was good governance. Imagine these state gaffes on a national level, and it's a trainwreck waiting to happen.
I miss you btw! Hope Cal is treating you well!
While I understand you only touched one a few items of discussion, there is just a litany of other issues out there.
Also it is important to note that while Palin may be getting a ton of buzz at this current time, she is the VP candidate and not the P candidate (hehe). McCain and Obama should be the main focus in the next six weeks.
The election really boils down to a man who has a storied military history and a self-described "maverick" that seemingly is in constant battle between those of his own party and the moderates of both parties, and one who has a cerebral approach to campaigning and is pushing his party ever further to the outer edges and away from the majority of America. Granted my own biases play into this depiction, as does yours, however I feel that they are accurate. I think the election of 2004 showed the true America, one who hated Bush but wasn't willing to place another die hard far left politician to the WH.
Whatever the outcome of the election, it'll be a close one.
@Rob: I wouldn't give Palin a second glance if it weren't for the fact that McCain's health is failing rapidly. Had he chosen a candidate with a stronger grasp on the government's role in the economy, or on foreign diplomacy, I probably wouldn't have needed to write this blog :)
On the other hand, I completely agree that Obama isn't doing well to unite the Democratic party behind a moderate front. Both the McCain and Obama camps are touting "us vs. them" as a theme behind their speeches, which is the opposite of their touchy feely crap in the beginning of the campaign about ending bipartisan bickering. :P
Also, you mentioned I didn't delve too deep into why I vote the way I do. I wrote about this previously, although a bit of that blog is outdated by a few months now: http://crazymoflo.blogspot.com/2008/04/out-of-political-closet.html
I love your writing, Flo :) I'm so dissatisfied with both of the candidates, but I wouldn't dare not vote. My birthday is on women's equality day for a reason :) And that's all I have to say about politics at this point. Dating a political science major leaves one a bit tired ;)
@Corinne That's precisely why I don't date other journalists - I couldn't handle thinking about politics or journalism all the time ;) However you vote, I now it'll be an informed and well thought out decision, especially with Eric there coaching you through the intricacies hehe
I like polar bears.
Flo, great post.
And, just so you know, I can see the Elizabeth River from my house.
Where's Russia?
;-)
In all seriousness, like life, this election is about compromise, all the way around. And, also like life, it's damn important.
Eight years ago during the primaries, I voted for Senator McCain. Here in Virginia, we don't register by party, and voters can pick and choose to vote in either primary. McCain was my choice then. As much as I respect him, however, I believe his time has gone. As to his choice in a running mate, for a number of reasons, I believe that the VP must be ready from day one to step into the Oval Office.
@Nissa - You like polar bears...in bed. ;)
@Peter - I believe that McCain is a strong candidate, and have said from day one that I'd support him as president if he were elected. But that was before the threat of "President Palin" ever crossed my mind. I'm fiscally conservative (laissez faire gov't is my favored approach to the economy) so I'm on board with McCain in that respect, but there are TOO many other issues he backs which I completely disagree with. Thanks for commenting, and good luck with the FOIA debacle and the Bertholf.
Flo... glad to see we've grown up to have *almost* parallel political views. I appreciate your moderate-ism, which I find sorely lacking in most of my friends political emails/blog posts, etc. Although I'm a registered "independent," I consider myself a Republican for Obama, who will fully support McCain if elected. If McCain dies... I'll take some cues from Sarah Palin and pray like hell.
@Megan WOW I'm so glad to hear from you! And I completely agree that's it's refreshing to hear from friends who don't regard politics as an excuse to fight/argue/combat. lol I feel the same way about McCain, and will support him if he's elected - but I will pray for his health every day he's in office. ;) I just added you to my blog friends list, it's great to see that you're doing so well!
Thanks!
I bet you are enjoying the new house!
The one noticeable good thing about this election is that it is getting people interested that typically could care less about politics, or voting for that matter. It's history in the making and we all get to be a part of it! Our children will read about this in their history books and that is exciting.
From the Alaskan reader on the blog: I am electing someone who can lead, evoke change, provide us with a cabinet that will support our commander in chief, and steer this broken economy and market toward a true recovery, therby eliminating the deficit and building consumer confidence, domestically and internationally. I am voting for a leader who can push a domestic agenda, apply common logic to diplomatic processes, and continue a focus on family values without eradicating every program that truly supports those two words.
@Nicole I can't wait to brag to my children that I lived through one of the most historic campaigns in the history of this country. Voter interest is bigger than I've ever experienced, and both candidates are honorable men. It is an honor and a privilege, indeed.
@Christina Your candidate kicks some serious butt :) I'm hoping that the rest of the country is able to feel as confident about their decision as we do, and I hope that they're as informed as you are about what you want in a candidate. You've got such a clear understanding of what you want from your leader, and I'm glad to say I completely agree.
Gosh, I wish elections didn't keep coming down to how much we like people. I lean conservative, but it's hard to pick conservative politicians these days except for which catchphrases they like or which groups they take money from. I guess I'm closer to Republican in the same way New York is closer to Texas than to California. It's still quite a ways away.
I like Barack Obama a lot in that he seems like somebody I could actually sit down and talk to if I disagreed with him. He seems less vehement, more thoughtful. I enjoy his point of view, I agree with him on a lot of things, and I get inspired but his speeches too. I admire how he wants to bring the country together. But everybody wants to unite everybody and they give rather too much credit to human nature. Inspirational speech only goes so far before you start asking, what's the plan? I suspect Mr. Obama still ultimately wants to unite us under the flag of all being Democrats inside. I agree whole-heartedly with the things he cares about but I worry about his solutions. I don't get angry or cranky about his politics, just a bit concerned maybe.
McCain's a war hero and I deeply respect his sacrifice for his country. I respect him as a man. And if you want to bring his health into it, he's certainly survived the eight years since the last time he ran and the question came up. I figure he might survive another four or so OK. You get a good medical plan when you're the President.
But, well, he didn't get the nomination last time around, and in the meantime he seems to have drunk the Kool-Aid. A little too cozy with the Party. He uses the word Maverick a lot but I don't see him acting like it any more. Like for example distancing himself from the current administration and saying how he'd do things different. That's something a maverick might do, but it's a no-no for a Republican front-runner, so no dice.
All this is to illustrate, I worry about all this personality getting mixed up in politics. Everyone's reading the cover but quite frankly it's hard to open the book. The medicine looks good in the TV ad spots, but nobody's listing the side-effects.
And then there's Sarah Palin... She does add a certain spicy mac and cheese flavor to an otherwise bland oatmeal campaign. But the nutrition facts still read like empty carbos.
@Joe Such an awesome comment, thank you for adding your opinion :) Completely agree on every point, most clearly with the fact that it's hard to be Maverick McCain when the moderates need to be swayed while the traditional base is kept happy. He's got some years left in him yet, and I know he'd make a fine president if elected. In regard to Obama, while his personality has always been a welcome perk, it is his utilitarian nature that has and will continue to earn my vote. He votes consistently and with the interests of the middle class in mind, from economic to social issues. I'm always a little surprised that he's accused of being overly liberal, because he's never really surprised me by anything he has done or said. That might just be the San Franciscan in me though :)
Flo,
You definitely make a couple very valid points. However, they are not all completely accurate.
First of all, I've e-mailed you with my views on McCain before. Even so, I am as disgusted as you are in the vice-presidential debate issue.
You're right on the Roe v. Wade comment. However, she did not demand that books be banned from the library. Some of the books on that widely circulated list were not even in print at the time.
Palin has not pushed for teaching creationism in Alaska's schools. She has said that students should be allowed to "debate both sides" of the evolution question, but she also said creationism "doesn't have to be part of the curriculum."
I haven't researched your other points, but it is possible that they may be correct. I'm not sure.
I respect your views completely, but I thought I would point out those little flaws as well. If you're wondering my source, I got that information from factcheck.org.
I really like that website. Not sure if you've heard of it before, though I wouldn't be surprised if you have. They point out the errors and misleading information from both sides, and not just in election issues... though they are obviously flooded with questions about that during this time.
That's it. Haha. =)
@Allyson Factcheck.org is a project of the Annenberg School of Communications, and I worked closely with them while at the Center for Integration and Improvement of Journalism. Needless to say, I'm a huge huge fan :)
The flaws you brought up in your comment are questions of semantics, but none of them were incorrect. It should be noted that while creationism was not literally backed by Palin (a term I was careful to avoid), the mere fact that she proposed it as a viable and debatable educational topic is problematic. Religion and political preference have no place in the public school system, and creationism was the beginning of that slippery slope. It was unprofessional for her to consider it in the first place.
In regard to the library question, FactCheck.org did very little to explain or excuse Palin's behavior. You can read a more detailed story on what happened with the Wasilla libary here. There's little room for redemption on this one - Palin asked if the librarian would be okay with censoring particular books. The librarian said no (both privately then later publicly at a town meeting) and Palin asked her to step down from her position because she didn't "fully support" Palin. She later tried to defend her actions as "rhetorical," but they were questions that should have never been asked in the first place. Note again that I never said she DID ban books, I said that she TRIED.
I agree that there's an inappropriate amount of mudslinging happening on both sides, but more often than not, there's a lot of substance and history to the Palin "rumors."
I couldn't agree with you more when you say there are some major flaws in Palin's stances on many things. As far as the religious aspect, I'm right there with you. I think religion has absolutely no place in politics.
I also see the danger in allowing religion in a public school system. When it comes to debate, however, I welcome any sort of religious input. I submit to the philosophies of John Stuart Mill when he says that the only way to find truth is to let speech counteract speech.
The biggest problem with creationism being debated in a public school system is that every other religion isn't fairly represented, if at all. What she's proposing definitely isn't feasable.
I think the reason it doesn't bother me on a large scale, is because what she's proposing isn't constitutional and she won't get the support to make it happen. Sure she has some radical views, but she's also the vice president candidate. If McCain does get elected, I highly doubt he's going to have a republican majority in congress, and even if he did, the supreme court is another check.
There isn't going to be any book banning, creationism in public schools, and the way the supreme court has been behaving in the last few decades, Roe v. Wade probably won't be revisited anytime soon.
The issues that will be dealt with by our future President are going to be those concerning the economy and the war in Iraq first and foremost. There will probably also be a big challenge from environmentalists to make a change as well. I don't see Sarah Palin being as powerful as she's trying to make herself out to be.
Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not a Palin supporter. I agree with you on just about every point you've made. I just wanted to bring some more information into this debate. Thanks for continuing to write about it. =)
I've been trying to come up with something brilliant and eloquent in response, but the best I can come up with is: I concur. Bland, I know. You are so much more articulate.
I'm just going to copy and paste for my comment, because sometimes, it's all that's needed to make a point :-)
"That's why I say I, like every American I'm speaking with, we're ill about this position that we have been put in where it is the taxpayers looking to bail out. But ultimately, what the bailout does is help those who are concerned about the healthcare reform that is needed to help shore up our economy. Um, helping, oh — it's got to be all about job creation too. Shoring up our economy, and putting it back on the right track. So healthcare reform and reducing taxes and reining in spending has got to accompany tax reductions, and tax relief for Americans, and trade, we've got to see trade as opportunity, not as a competitive, um, scary thing, but one in five jobs being created in the trade sector today — we, we've got to look at that as more opportunity. All of those things under the umbrella of job creation. This bailout is a part of that."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npUMUASwaec
Flo - great post. After having spent 5 years in Alaska, I've never been a Palin fan. I actually thought my husband was just being goofy when he called to tell me she was on the ticket as VP.
I'm saddened for wonderful Christian mothers everywhere that have the potential of being duped into voting for someone that hasn't quite proven their ability to do the huge job of potentially being the ruler of the free world.
Unfortunately, I don't think too many people realize what the real issues are, nor are these voters running out to get themselved educated. Let's just say that I'm not the most popular mom on the playground these days. :)
@Jenny Never ever discredit your writing skill, I think you're beautifully eloquent.
@Jon I'm saving my bailout thoughts for another entry, but suffice it to say it's the biggest topic in all my classes.
@Mary Completely agree. So many women I love and respect seem to have taken Palin's nomination at face value as a credit to women, but it is the furthest thing from it. I'm glad to know that there are so many thoughtful and informed moms like you out there. Thank you for your comment!
Post a Comment