Monday, July 07, 2008

Paying tribute to a mentor



I visited my alma mater this morning to drop off a thank you gift to Yumi Wilson, my professor and mentor. She wrote my Letter of Recommendation for grad school and has always supported my educational endeavors. It was a beautiful morning in San Francisco.



My mom suggested that wine would be an appropriate gift as a thank you, so I brought one of my beloved bottles of Sterling Malvasia Bianca. We bought a few bottles during Shana's visit to California, and the wine is absolutely stunning.



I forgot how much I'd missed my old "home," the Humanities building at San Francisco State University. The third floor is dedicated to the four journalism departments - Photography, Magazine, Print and Online. I even got to check out the old publication I used to be an editor for, the Golden Gate [X]press.



I placed Yumi's gift on top of her mailbox, dropped by the Center for Integration and Improvement of Journalism, where I used to work as Multimedia Editor, and left as inconspicuously as possible. After being mistaken by the Journalism office secretary as a student in need of advising, I realized I still blended in fairly well with the rest of the student body :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now there's a welcome sight for a professor!

Anonymous said...

ah, the humanities building ... so many memories made in there <3

Heather said...

I don't mean to be tacky buuuuut...Where did you get that card? I know someone that would love that!

Your so nice bearing gifts! I'll have to check out that wine! I'm always game to try a new one.

Flo said...

@ Heather:

Card: Borders for $4.50

Wine: Sterling Vineyard exclusive - you have to actually go to the vineyard to pick up a bottle, which is why we bought several. Now we're down to ONE because we've given the rest away! lol

Flo said...

@ Corinne: I definitely just LMAO over that comment. If I were a professor I'd pop that puppy open right then and there. "Get me a Solo cup!"

@ Bryn: Youuu know it. So many (drunken) memories made there. Gotta love deadline days and the end of the semester party <3

Stephani said...

the humanities building! so many good memories. good times. <3