Thursday, July 03, 2008

Admittedly, I bought a gift for...myself.

After quite a decision debacle, I've just bought my congratulatory grad school admission gift to myself - the Canon Powershot SD1100 in brushed metallic PINK!

The dilemma I faced was whether to buy the Flip Mino camcorder I'd been lusting after, or to purchase a brand new digital point and shoot to replace my current older model camera. When it came down to the details and specs, I realized that the video quality delivered by the uber-popular and Oprah-endorsed Flip camcorder is exactly the same. At 640 x 480 px and 29 frames per second, the Flip Mino only matches what a normal point and shoot camera produces. The sound quality is about the same, and in terms of size and appearance, they're equally attractive. Check out the Mino I almost bought:



Ridiculous, right? So sleek and stylish in that Mac please-touch-me kind of way, but still not enough to lure me away from the necessity of a fully loaded camera. The Flip Mino does take digital stills, but not at NEARLY the quality I need, nor in the conditions I regularly use cameras for: low-light, fast motion, indoors. Also, let's look at the prices:

Cost of a Flip Mino camcorder: $180
Cost of my Canon Powershot SD1100: $207

With a price gap of only $27, it made sense to buy the device with far more capabilities. The Flip camcorder is only meant to function as a simple handheld, and the Canon camera does precisely that in its video mode. I made sure to check user feedback from as recently as possible, and the latest reviews are from as recent as April 2008. I'm completely confident and satisfied with my purchase :)

I'll write a user review after I receive my little gift next week. In the meantime, I'll be bringing my Canon Digital Rebel XTi to the Suisun Marina waterfront tomorrow for Independence Day celebrations. Have a great holiday everyone!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ooooh, IT'S PINK. i love it. i'm in need of a point-and-shoot upgrade myself ... can't wait to hear what you think of it.

CANON LOVE <3

Anonymous said...

Happy 4th! Huge congrats on grad school and the new, pretty, and pink camera! :)

Just a Girl in a Port said...

Hmmm, I need a new point and shoot. Maybe I'll be your copycat. :)