Friday, March 07, 2008

Recommended downloads of the week


(Josh Turner)

I'm Yours - Jason Mraz
The normally poppy and bubbly Jason Mraz has taken his sound in a more Jack Johnson acoustic direction, which turned out great for this particular single. He "gets" the surfer sound without being a poser, and his trademark catchy lyrics dominate the melody. Definitely listen for the chorus - it's easy to fall in love with and have stuck in your head :)

Love In This Club - Usher
With a highly synthesized sound reminiscent of Jay Z's classic "Can I Get a..." this song is already the #1 downloaded single on iTunes. Usher knows how to do a comeback, and this reinvention of his style is no exception.

Just Got Started Loving You - James Otto
Bluesy and soulful, it's hard to believe that this song belongs in the country genre. James Otto is NOT a newcomer as this latest single might suggest, but he's definitely an artist I plan to follow in the future.

Foundations - Kate Nash
I thought I'd get tired of the Lily Allen archetype of foul-mouthed cute girl, but this Brit pop newcomer has burned up the charts for a good reason. She's witty without being contrived, and her attitude is refreshing rather than bitter.

Drunken Lullabies
- Flogging Molly
Like running headlong down a hill and jumping in a lake. In Ireland. Naked. Seriously. I've loved Flogging Molly for a long time now and recently found my old MP3s of their music. Perfect for that raucous St. Patrick's Day party with green beer and headbanging :)

The Longer the Waiting - Josh Turner
Shana managed to make me CRY at work today over this song. It's a sailor's hymn turned into a country ballad, and it struck a deep chord with me when I heard "Though we won't be together again till the spring," because that was the timeline of Brian's patrol.

Boy With a Coin - Iron & Wine
Rhythmic, stylish and timeless, like drinking a cool mojito while listening to a Spanish sermon and watching a flamenco performance. Sound kinda pretentious? It is, but considering that it's the work of Sam Beam, you come to expect something that exciting and breathless. Listen closely to the lyrics, they're like poetry set to music.

4 comments:

Shana said...

I am so glad that you enjoyed the song that much! I told you as soon as I heard the first words I thought of you and Brian. And Flogging Molly is wonderful! I love them. They have a funny song you should look up sometime called "Fuck you, I'm drunk." I think it'd make you laugh :) Love you!!

Shana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
amanda said...

oh! i'm so glad you posted this! i've been looking for new music to listen to during work. i'll definitely be checking these out!

amanda said...

oh! i'm so glad you posted this! i've been looking for new music to listen to during work. i'll definitely be checking these out!