
"Well it's official, I'm bi-sectional," I said, pushing my rolling chair back from my desk after reading the latest message in my inbox. My coworkers dissolved into fits of laughter.
I've just been appointed the official Sports Producer of the region. This is bitterly funny because I am not exactly suited for the position, nor was I even interested in it. It is a temporary fill until the company is able to stabilize its budget and hire a new (and decidedly more appropriate) producer for the job.
This isn't necessarily a bad development, despite my reluctant approach to it. I have the opportunity to work on my weakest area of expertise, which happens to be the most profitable subject in our region. Our Oakland Raiders blog alone receives 1 million hits per month, and Prep Sports is our most read section at the Contra Costa Times. Still, I have to point out that the closest I've ever been to calling myself a "sports fan" was as a cheerleader at SFSU. sigh.

In addition to managing the daily work flow of sports stories and photos for the region, I'll also be handling multimedia and site development. I'm depending on the sports editors to mentor me on some of the intricacies and historical issues behind our local teams, from the nationally known De La Salle football program to the numerous professional teams. The Oakland Athletics, Golden State Warriors and Oakland Raiders all call the East Bay home, with the Giants and 49ers hailing from San Francisco just a few miles away. I'll be trolling national Web sites for sports buzz and trying to break regional coverage before our rival, SFGate.com. To say I'm overwhelmed would be an understatement.
Wish me luck, goodness knows I'll need the help :)
2 comments:
You'll ace it, flo. Love that outfit.
Flo, congrats on the new assignment...
As to the cheerleading... er, ah... hmmm... urgh... I agree with Randy...
Is the photo flipped?
Are there more?
;-)
Post a Comment