Sunday, December 09, 2007

Ladies who lunch, in Fairfield.


I met Jessica and our childhood friend Bertha for brunch at Vintage Caffe in the countryside of Suisun Valley. It was exactly what I needed to unwind from the unusually cold and rainy work week. We took time to catch up on each other's lives, which are inevitably interesting with Jessica substitute teaching in several school districts and Bertha attending grad school at UC Davis.

We trotted over to the Clay Station art gallery across the street, which is a remodeled gas station with gorgeous art pieces and sculptures scattered inside and around the building.

Gown-frocked jewelery holders

I thought Brian would love this sculpture outside, since he was a trumpet player in our marching band, the Scarlet Brigade of Fairfield High. :)

Bertha, Jessica and I headed over to Starbucks afterward for what I like to call "Crack-In-A-Cup," also known as their Peppermint White Mocha. I went home and did a Google search on the calorie count, which turned up at 480 cal. Perhaps I should rename it "Crack-and-One-Hour-On-A-Treadmill-In-A-Cup."

All this talk of calories reminds me of some good news I have to share. I'm starting yoga and pilates classes in a few weeks! This is ridiculously exciting because I have always led an active lifestyle (dance, drum corps, winter guard, cheerleading in college, hiking, etc.) but lately have slacked on the gym. With the scheduled obligation of weekly fitness classes, I'd love to also incorporate cardio on a regular basis. One of my best friends, Cynthia, runs marathons for a hobby and happens to be the hottest assistant manager Abercrombie has ever seen. ;) I know I'll never ever enjoy running the way she does, but I can always say to myself, "This is 1/26th of what Cindy runs!"

No comments: