Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The beginning of the long winter...



Brian left on patrol finally, at o-dark-thirty on an undisclosed day. I couldn't bring myself to see the ship sail away again, so I dropped him off for work as if it were a normal day. No tears this time...I was fortunately too tired and drained.

His last days home were quietly wonderful - no glamorous nights out or pressure to do anything extraordinary. We went Christmas shopping at Broadway Plaza in Walnut Creek, then came home and watched Scrubs while Jubilee chewed on a wine cork. I found it much easier to treat the "last day" as an every day, because it took off the sting and shock of missing him when I woke up alone that morning.

They say that distance makes the heart grow fonder, and I couldn't agree more. Reading his short, quirky and silly emails brightens my work day and makes being alone at home a little easier. He cleaned the entire house before he left, laundry included, so I wouldn't have to feel overwhelmed with chores. He even labeled each of the kitchen cabinets since I always forget which of his little cooking gadgets goes where. It's details like that that really speak of how much he dotes on me. That and this new pair of UGGs I refuse to take off my feet. :)

1 comment:

C Anderson said...

Although quite behind in responding, I wanted to you know that my heart goes out to you during the long winter. The first year we lived together, Brad was uw for over 280 days. I got used to the bed after a while-- I bought and stacked large pillows on his side to "train" me to sleep on my side and to "mimic" his giant body next to mine. I have to admit, I am wicked spoiled with his living with me now; although I do find myself asking him when he is going back to sea when he grates my nerves. Sigh, alas, the next patrol assignment will kill me. I'll need to buy new pillows.